Friday, January 24, 2014

Mango Mojito Chicken


This year I am going to focus on learning how to make healthy, nutritious meals.  I have challenged myself to try one, new recipe a week. This week I tried the Mango Mojito Chicken recipe found in the December, 2013 issue of Oxygen magazine.

First, the original recipe:

Mango Mojito Chicken

  • 2 tsp olive oil
  • 4 4-oz boneless, skinless chicken breast
  • 1/4 tsp each sea salt and black pepper
  • 2 ripe mangoes, peeled, pitted and diced
  • 1 green bell pepper, chopped
  • 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
  • 1/3 cup chopped scallions
  • 2 TBS chopped fresh mint
  • 1 TBS fresh lime juice
  • 1 tsp finely grated lime zest
  • 1tsp finely grated garlic
  • 2 cups brown rice, cooked
1. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Season both sides of chicken breast with salt and pepper. Add chicken to skillet and cook 1-2 minutes per side. 

2. Add mangoes, bell pepper, broth,  scallions,  mint, lime juice, lime zest and garlic and bring to a simmer.  Cover skillet and cook 5 minutes undisturbed, until chicken is cooked through.  Add rice, stir and cook 1 minute more.

Nutrients per serving (4 oz chicken and 1 cup rice mixture):
Calories: 340
Fat: 7g
Carbs: 44g
Fiber: 4g
Sugar: 3g
Protein: 27g

I substituted a yellow bell pepper for the green pepper (I was out of green).

I only had one scallion so I also added some sweet onion.

I only used 1 mango.

I did not use mint (I didn't want to pay for it).

It cost me around $6.00 to make 4 servings which makes 1 meal (for 1 person) around $1.50 per serving. 

Taste-test Approved?
I wasn't sure how I would like this meal. I don't cook with lime often and I think mangoes are "ok". This meal wasn't bad. I wasn't begging for seconds but it was definitely edible and something I will file away for future use.

Kid Approved?
No!

Husband Approved?
Quote: "It isn't bad.  If I were somewhere else I would eat it and be happy.  It isn't something I would want to eat very often."




No comments:

Post a Comment